nafex - [NAFEX] Dying Montmorency.

  • From: "Rodney Eveland" <reveland@collinscom.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Dying Montmorency.
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 21:06:29 -0600

You didn't mention if you prune your "Monties" or not and if so what
months etc. In some places you don't dare prune certain types of trees
during various periods of the year. I remember that in parts of
Minnesota pruning Oak trees during one of the summer months is nearly
a guaranteed death sentence for the tree. Have you talked with others
in your area about their results?

One of the great things about living in semiarid country like I do is
that not many fungi do well around here unless one waters excessively.

Typically tart cherries do not like a lot of water so if you live in
an area with lots of rainfall you probably shouldn't do any
supplemental watering at all as long as the grass around the trees is
surviving (still has some green). You might try spraying the entire
tree when it is dormant with a clorox water solution (perhaps 1/2 cup
clorox per gallon of water - you can try various mixes) and also spray
the ground underneath the tree with a diluted clorox solution. I once
sprayed a horse chestnut tree that had a fungus and got good results
although the fungus (which made the leaves turned brown) returned
several years later so I'll have to do it again probably for a couple
of years. My philosophy is that using chemicals like clorox is better
than watching a tree die. Not many living organisms develop an
immunity to Chlorine. However in your case your tree is probably
already too far gone as the fungi have gotten under the bark. You
might try spraying your replacement tree and the ground around it with
a somewhat concentrated clorox solution when they are dormant and a
lighter solution when it is just plain damp for days on end. I'll
leave the experimentation to you as to concentrations and frequency
(based on things like relative humidity). The other thing you might
try is just a large fan under a roof so the rain can't get to it that
continually keeps the air moving through your tree from April 'till
Sept or whatever your real problem months are. Be creative and then
write an article telling us about your experience. If it turns out
bad, pretend like you are Erma Bombeck when you write the article. ;-)

Rodney Eveland

  • [NAFEX] Dying Montmorency., Rodney Eveland, 07/05/2005