nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Milk spray - powdery mildew

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Milk spray - powdery mildew
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 10:08:25 -0700

One proposed method of action for the milk is that it creates an environment
for bacteria, and those bacteria are antagonistic to fungi like powdery
mildew. Additional milk will help the bacteria stay fed, happy, and
numerous, but even after rain the microecology of the tree should stay
somewhat the same. Once a week spraying has been effective in trials, but
the twice a week you're doing is a common recommendation. Of course, the
moisture from the water itself may increase powdery mildew, and I sure don't
want your tree to regain susceptibility.

There are some products - like Serenade - that contain antifungal bacteria
and can be used on their own or with a milk spray to inoculate trees or
other plants and fight common fungal problems.

As for type of milk, skim milk works as well or better than whole, and
reconstituted powdered milk (instant or noninstant) works fine: 1 part
powder to 36 parts water.

Any fruit yet from your Court Pendu Plat? I read the variety may go back to
Roman times. I also read sometimes of people 'discovering' milk spray -
which also may go back to Roman times....

Cheers,

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate