nafex - [NAFEX] Peach borer

  • From: Joe Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Peach borer
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:48:27 -0400

Hello all:

I love peaches. They rate right up there with sweet cherries, perfectly ripe pears and strawberries. Sadly, peach trees are a 5-10 year proposition due to borers. I have a couple of questions for the collective wisdom of the group.

Are older cultivars....white peaches in particular....any more resistant to borers than the newer cultivars? The reason I ask is I know of a tree that beat the odds for 20 years before slipping its mortal coil. It was a white peach. Just luck?

Presuming I can get peaches to "take" in a Japanese-American hybrid plum tree, how high up do I have to graft to avoid borers? I may have a faulty mental image, but the picture in my head has most of the borer pressure in the bottom 3' (lowest meter in Canada) of trunk. So I wonder if I can top-work some plums at 4' (1.3 meters if your borers measure in metric), stand back and harvest delicious peaches for the next 25 years.

Anxiously awaiting your collective wisdom
-Joe in Eaton Rapids, Michigan....where we just got 0.5" (12.7 mm) of rain.

  • [NAFEX] Peach borer, Joe Hecksel, 06/26/2005