nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Surround Questions; trap crops; cherry fruit fly

  • From: "Dean Kreutzer" <deankreutzer@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Surround Questions; trap crops; cherry fruit fly
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:13:35 -0600

There seem to be two schools of thought about having pest-tempting plants nearby.

I agree completely. In this particular situation, I believe, and the cherry breeders at the University of Saskatchewan agree, is that the wild habitat should be removed, which will eventually reduce the cherry fruit fly population. This probably wouldn't work in a more temperate location where everyone has a cherry tree in their backyard. Up here, cherries are not commonly grown, although this is changing.

I plan on cutting down the pincherries in a week or two; waiting until some of the egg laying has occurred on the pin cherries. The death of the tree, should spell the death of the larvae. I am leaving a sucker so that I will do this again next spring as I was told that some adults can survive two seasons.

Due to the fact that I am organic, it will probably take a few years to slowly reduce the populations down. I have been told that Cherry fruit fly traps baited with ammonia only capture 5% of the adult populations.

I'll keep the list updated in August when I harvest.

Dean Kreutzer
www.overthehillorchards.ca
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
USDA zone 3