nafex - [NAFEX] Large Goumi Available

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Large Goumi Available
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:42:23 -0400

Jerry,
Your wish for a larger goumi may be fulfilled.
While in Oregon last week, visited Whitman Farms, near Salem. Was
astounded at the size of the goumi fruit on the one bush they had for
propagation. I picked some to compare to my goumi at home. These
goumi at Whitman Farms are about 2.5 times the weight of goumi I'm
growing and have seen at several nurseries and in Korea. Taste is
just like the goumis I'm used to. Said otherwise, Whitman Farm goumis
are 2.5 grams each.

Lucille Whitman is willing to propagate and sell these as orders come
in. Contact her at http://www.whitmanfarms.com/index.html

Richard Moyer
East Tennessee

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:36:58 EDT
> From: Jwlehman@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] goumi
> To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
>
> Hello Michele,
>
> I've had Gumi for several years and no problems with winter damage, zone 5b.
>

> Pretty red berries, sweet sour taste. In my opinion the taste very much like
> autumn olive, Eleagnus umbellata.
>
> Nice crop this year and a waited about 2 days too long to pick them. Birds
> got the entire crop. Was going to juice them.
>
> Three years ago while traveling in Thailand I found Eleagnus latifolia fruit
> in a fruit market. Looked like E. umbellata and tasted very much the same.
> Size: About the size of my thumb. Now if we could just make a hybrid.
>
> Jerry

  • [NAFEX] Large Goumi Available, Richard Moyer, 06/21/2005