nafex - [NAFEX] Gooseberry distinctives

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Gooseberry distinctives
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 22:41:49 -0400

Ed Mashburn wrote:
I think all three of these berries have a fair taste
> if used at the optimum
> time, none would rank as dessert berries, but that
> said all will grow and
> produce fruit where most of the "dessert quality
> berries" will not without a
> great deal of effort.They will produce pretty good
> berries that can be used in a
> number of ways. Glenndale and Invicta both produce
> very heavy crops but Jahns
> Prairie , like Captivator is not a great producer.

Ed,
There's a lot of info in what you write here, thanks for making the
disctinctions.

Lee wrote:
Richard,
> What did you think of Jahn's Prairie and Invicta as far as flavor. I
> never thought very highly of either.
> Lee Reich, PhD

Lee,
Invicta is my wife's favorite fresh gooseberry, because of the sweet
tart mix, the very thin skin, and seeds which do not stick in her
teeth. But she's also a goumi fan, another tart fruit. Invicta has
been our favorite gooseberry for ice cream, but we are working on
Glenndale recipes, because we have so many more of these to play with.
Invicta does sunburn easily, and are our first type eaten by leaf
eating insects.

As for Jahn's Prairie we have only tasted it one year so far, though
low yield for two years running. Captivator is my favorite dessert
(fresh) type, even though the skin is very thick. Captivator is
thornless or nearly so, hence is a favorite of my picking help. Here
in East Tennessee, Captivator yield is medium, between Glenndale and
Invicta at the top, and Jahn's Prairie at the bottom. As for picking
ease, I pick the Glenndale, Invicta and Poorman, while others are
picking Captivator and the red and black currants. If thorns put one
off, Captivator is worth trying.
Gooseberries and currants give us large amounts of fruit each year,
despite late freezes, which is why we are increasing our plantings of
this fruit more than any other small fruits we grow.

Robert,
You asked about ORUS 8, which is a cross and not a pure gooseberry.
These bushes are very vigorous, disease resistant and high yielding in
Oregon, have not grown them here. Fruits are smaller than
gooseberries, and flavor for fresh eating was well received in
informal taste tests in Oregon. But we are not growing them here,
reserving that space for Glenndale.

Richard Moyer
East Tennessee
Goumi, Mulberries in season; Juneberries almost done.

  • [NAFEX] Gooseberry distinctives, Richard Moyer, 06/18/2005