nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Farkleberry

  • From: "" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Farkleberry
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:03:11 -0500

----- Original Message -----
> Is there anyone in the South who might be able to collect some seed of
> Farkleberry (Vaccinium arboreum)? The species has more tolerance to
> alkalinity than other blueberries and a NAFEX member overseas wants to
> try some as rootstock for regular blueberries.

Lon,
I'm going home to AL this coming weekend. I'll see if I can get out and
collect some farkleberry fruits while I'm there.
Have one volunteer seedling that came up at the corner of the haybarn that
has fairly large berries - comparable to Rubel in size - way bigger than most
of the farkleberries out in the woods & fields, but way smaller than any of
the rabbiteye blueberries in the garden.

Lucky