nafex - [NAFEX] Apple - Alakaline Water - Powdery Mildew

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple - Alakaline Water - Powdery Mildew
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:34:00 -0400

Hello All,

Is there any connection between very alkaline water (dissolved calcium) and powdery mildew (PM) in PM sensitive apple culitvars?

I have an odd observation...

We are in the midst of a heat wave in SW Ontario. The village water is very hard, loaded with calcium.

When I watered the lawn, for it was burning out, the hard water hit the leaves of the apple tree. Now the leaves of the tree are showing classic PM, curling lengthwise. This apple cultavar is sensitive to PM.

Would alkaline water accelerate PM? This may be my problem if the link exists.

Any expert input?

Thanks,
Tom