nafex - [NAFEX] Amelanchier cultivars

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Amelanchier cultivars
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:44:36 -0400

Michele,
We've tried several Amelanchiers in Zone 6 east Tennessee.
Our best are Regent, which grows to about 6 feet, and Amelanchier
canadensis, from Lawyer's Nursery, which grows to about 12 feet, and
can be trained as single or multiple stems. Both yield heavily, have
larger fruit than some ornamental selections, and have flavor better
than a couple of Canadian cultivars we have tried. Jennybelle also
does very well for us, though she's at about 15 feet and still growing
into a tree. Could be pruned, though.
Richard Moyer,
East Tennessee