nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pruning before planting bare root trees.

  • From: "O'Barr, R. D." <topgun@otelco.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pruning before planting bare root trees.
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 16:01:32 -0500

Sometimes - where it is cooler and you fall plant, you can not prune as you plant some trees, depending a lot on size. Pecans that are over 6 ft. and spring planted will dehydrate when the leaves come out if not pruned back 1/3 to 1/2. There was one nurseryman who advocated no pruning, but you need to be really lucky to be successful with not pruning large pecans.
                                        Topgun
                                        Zone 7