nafex - [NAFEX] Re: grass type for orchard?

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: mark@markriver.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: grass type for orchard?
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 21:09:33 -0400

Hello, I'm planting a small hobby orchard ... What type of grass is ideal for an orchard?
Mark
Manning, Iowa, zone 5a
Before we try to answer, Mark can you provide a little more information?
1] If the Brome grass were removed, who would remove it, and with what machinery?
2] What equipment is at your disposal?  Mower?  Disc harrow?  Plow?
3] Do you believe your soil to have sufficient lime?  Is the brome dominating or are there persistant obnoxious weed?  Is the brome regularly mowed currently?  Is the orchard location high and dry or wet and low?

Charlie Paradise
Massachusetts