nafex - [NAFEX] neem and clove oils

  • From: "Michelle Horner" <shelly2@wi.rr.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] neem and clove oils
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 22:39:19 -0500

Thanks Dr Stephen!  I'm delighted I got you to reply on the Neem oil question.  Your reply is appreciated and darn succinct.  And in fact I may have to save that in my files.

Doreen, I use Neem similar to your description; only in the summer I do use it in conjunction with the Surround.  I was pretty desperate to win 1 summer battle against the plum curculio--they ravage everything here if you do not take some action.  I had never harvested a fruit from my dwarf mixed orchard, (very similar to yours in fact) until about three years ago when I started this regime.  I am not familiar with the clove oil you refer to (other than in the dental office I work in--there it gets mixed into a lot of the compounds we use!)  Can you purchase such in agricultural quantities?  What is your resource?

Richard, I use the Neem at a rate recommended on the Trilogy label.  It is about 1 1/2-2 qts in my 20 gallon sprayer--about 1-2%;  Surround at 2-4 cups/ gallon (the first application heavier, those after at 1/2 rate).

Thanks again, Dr Steve!!

Michelle Horner zone 4/5 SE Wis