nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Sugar that's not so sweet

  • From: Doc Lisenby <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Sugar that's not so sweet
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:40:26 -0400

Big problem for figs in sandy soil is root nematodes. I have seen nematodes in other than sandy soil. In fact, I get best results here in clay if I plant figs next to building foundations to allow the roots to go under the foundation and escape the shallow-soil-dwelling nematodes. Leaving the upper part of a plastic pot in which young figs have been started is said to force the roots down deeper into the soil.
It may work, but I haven't proved it to myself yet.
I think I will try the sugar. Thanks Bruce. I got the spell checker. I appreciate your suggestion.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8