nafex - [NAFEX] Re: deer repellents and fences

  • From: Louisa Rogoff Thompson <louisathompson@erols.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: deer repellents and fences
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 09:10:11 -0400

Paul,

I've had good results with deer-deterring tablets in the root ball. Repellex is one brand. It takes about 6 weeks for the plant to absorb them, but then they last for about 18 months. If you are most troubled by deer in the winter, you would put the tablets in by mid-summer. Like any method, they will only work if the deer can find other food. The smell is noticeable to people only while handling the tablets, and is minimal compared to sprays. I think they affect the taste of the plant more than its smell. What I don't know is whether they would affect the taste of the fruit! Anyone know? But if you want to protect young trees that you won't harvest within 2 years, this is the most cost-effective way.

I've heard that a double fence is more effective than a single one, and can be much lower. It should be very visible, like snow fence. Apparently deer do not have good depth perception and can't tell whether they can leap a double fence, so they don't try. I would guess the two fences should be 3-4' apart. Has anyone ever done this, or know any more specifics?

Louisa Thompson
Columbia, MD, zone 7B