nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Thank you.

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Thank you.
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 21:27:26 -0700

Richard,

Have they caused any damage?  Without damage, it’s hard to say they’re harmful – and they could be beneficial.  Do we yet have an id on them?  Are they soft like most cutworms?  Have leglets like cutworms or other caterpillars?  Segmented with firm skin (shell) and possessing many wee legs, like centipedes or millipedes?  Or are they structured more like earthworms?

Millipedes like the environment you described, fit the length and color description, will curl up, and they are often taken for worms.  They are generally beneficial, in that they hasten the breakdown of dead or dying organic material (fallen leaves and small fruit).  A few can be harmful to corn and bean seedlings, but others are beneficial carnivores.  For the most part, control is not necessary, and can lessen the health of the garden.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.

USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,

Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate