nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: Ants on Apples

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: Ants on Apples
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:42:47 -0400

That's certainly a possibility. I notice that last year I had troubles with tiny caterpillars a little later in the season on the same branches. On the other hand, it seems plausible that ants would selectively attack the flowering buds of the domestic apple parts. I'm sure the domestic apple tastes better than the crab - my local deer show a clear and strong preference. :) I assume that either the domestic apple is sweeter (more carbohydrate) or less bitter (fewer toxins), which might lead the ants to prefer it, too. And the squirrels and rabbits have taught me that fruiting buds taste better than vegetative buds (at least to mammals.)

If it is a disease, does anyone have any ideas what it might be, or how to combat it? Whatever the problem is, it affects five different cultivars of domestic apple on this tree. (Ashmead's Kernal, Karmijn, Cox's Orange Pippin, Ribston, and Tydeman's late orange, from two different sources)

Ginda