nafex - Re: [NAFEX] rat poison

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] rat poison
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 10:46:06 -0700

On Apr 4, 2005, at 10:41 AM, joanrrosenberg@aol.com wrote:

<x-tad-bigger>Any kind of poison is not good for an ecosystem.  Natural controls are always better.  Cats and dogs patrol an area well.  Actually so do raccoons, which incidentally will eat squirrels if they can catch them.  People who prefer dogs to cats have a selection of small to large terriers available, which are excellent for rodent control.  Not all cats climb trees, so if you want cats that will go after squirrels by going up the tree, you have ask around to find one for adoption.  </x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>-----Original Message-----</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>From: Michelle Horner <shelly2@wi.rr.com></x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>To: nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org></x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>Sent: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 19:31:57 -0500</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>Subject: [NAFEX] rat poison</x-tad-bigger>

<x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>>SET UP A FEEDER  JUST THE >SQUIRRELS CAN GET IN AND FEED >THEM RAT POSION</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger>

<x-tad-bigger>>Will anything that eats the bodies then get >killed by the rat poison?</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger>
And there's the rub--we are on 2 acres and have used DeCon liberally in the past.  I was always cautious--stashing it in rafters, under work benches.  Well, just before Christmas our 5 month old American Water Spaniel had a "near death experience" with the stuff.  We still are not sure where she mixed it up--and I am supicious that it was consumption of a dead carcass.  Fortunately, there is a positive test for the stuff, so we eventually figured out what was going on.  But the experience left us a lot more suspicious of the stuff (and about $1500. poorer)--now we are a DeCon-free zone.  And we are considering a couple of barn cats for a new control system.  We were always under the impression that once digested by initial contact, nothing happened in subsequent consumptions.  I do not know.  Just our wake-up call.
change other email options):

Please do not send binary files.
Use plain text ONLY in emails!

Message archives are here: