nafex - Re: [NAFEX] MM111 graft height & burr knots?

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] MM111 graft height & burr knots?
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 21:37:03 EST

In a message dated 4/1/2005 10:35:47 PM US Eastern Standard Time, tanistanis@hotmail.com writes:

Today I read something with dire warnings about the graft union
must end up 1 to 2 inches above soil line at planting.  The graft unions I
made are at about 2 FEET.  This spring I start transplanting these whips
from the nursery row to their permanent sites.  Should I instead plan on
starting over?

I've grafted many apples anywhere from 6 inches to 5 feet above ground level with complete success.

Burr knot occurs when high moisture and low level of light promote heavy rooting. That dark moist portion thinks it is in the ground and tries to root. This heavy cluster of (attempted) tiny roots is a burr of knotted roots. Hence Burr Knot. Some apples are more susceptible to that condition than most.

As advised by others keeping anything that would retain moisture away from the understock above ground level should prevent it.  No, I wouldn't start over.

Jerry