nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Saskatoons,acidic soil

  • From: "bluestem_farm@juno.com" <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Saskatoons,acidic soil
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:00:45 GMT

You got it Tanis, we're at least mostly on silt. I have no experience with
the cultivated Juneberries but I wonder why you fight your soil when there
are native ones that like it?
Muffy

-- tanis grif wrote:
That's stolonifera & arborea. Aren't the cropping cultivars alnifolia?

There was an article about amelanchiers in a pre-internet 'Pomona' which had
most of
a page devoted to a list of known species.

Hey Muffy, do I remember correctly that your soil is silt rather than sand?

--- mark wessel wrote:
> Tanis,
> I doubt that soil on the acidic side is your problem. In fact i think most
> prefer a slighty acidic soil. I have seen Amelanchier stolonifera growing on
> sandy,peaty tidal plane in Maine. Also, here in Southern ohio, one of our
> natives A. arborea grows on acid shale ridgetops.
>
> Mark
> southern ohio

to change other email options):