nafex - [NAFEX] RE: Annurca

  • From: Doc Lisenby <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] RE: Annurca
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:51:35 -0500

To re-force Jerry's observation, I'll add that some people like to gnaw on chicken gristle but to me it feels like chewing rubber. Some of these opinions about mealy vs. crispy apples must be acquired/learned sometime in life. Avoidance of disliked foodstuffs obviously re-enforces this bias.
I didn't like squash/pumpkin/gourd in any form until that was all I had to eat as a POW. Now I can eat all of them without hesitation. We are just lucky to have the choice.

Donna mentioned storage. I think there is some merit to what she said. I get chilled Red Delicious Apples from Washington (from lack of choice and frugality). They are crisp and sweet. So are mine, of which I get a few practically every year. Mine turn mealy within hours so I try to eat them out-of-hand or dry them quickly unless I make apple sauce or vinegar. I can't imagine that any apple I am fortunate enough to harvest here in Zone 7/8 flatlands to retain crispiness unless they are refrigerated.
Just my 3ยข.
Doc

  • [NAFEX] RE: Annurca, Doc Lisenby, 03/25/2005