nafex - [NAFEX] Re: more/scion season

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: more/scion season
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:42:23 -0600

At 12:07 PM 3/21/2005 -0800, Tanis wrote:
I'm a "neighbor" of the person who posted this, and I'm worried the season is too
late for scion collection! If you want to try grafting in May, one way to help your
scions store well in the refrigerator until use is to harvest before we get much
thaw/ freeze-thaw weather.

Tanis,
I've been cutting a few scions here and there since the first of March; have redoubled my efforts in the last week or so.
I've still got a little time left to cut what, if anything, I need, but I did notice that the little Siberian crab seedling out in the orchard is well on its way to being fully leafed out, so time's running short here in my hot zone 6. Everything else, with the exception of the apricots & Japanese hybrid plums are still solidly dormant.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY