nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting and Cherry Hawthorn

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting and Cherry Hawthorn
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:49:23 -0600

At 11:19 AM 3/17/2005 -0600, Steve H. wrote:
I have planted that Hawthorne from Mr. Fahey. So far it is about 3' tall
and has shown no damage at -30F, but it has been subject to Hawthorne rust.
It's not defoliated, but isn't particularly attractive if you was the plant
for edible landscaping.
I've got a seedling of it, and my experience has been similar, it has some rust lesions on the branches - I pruned them off last weekend, when I planted it out in a somewhat boggy spot alongside and below the driveway with some grafted mayhaws, pawpaws, and seedling redbuds. But, it did have pretty good red fall color for me last year.

Lucky