nafex - RE: [NAFEX] pulverizing food scraps

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] pulverizing food scraps
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:13:46 -0800

As Jim says, a great way to increase bioavailability of your food scraps,
such as the eggshells we're talking about, is to pulverize all of them. If
you have a high-powered blender, such as the Vitamix, you can fill it about
halfway with food scraps and cover with water to an inch above the scraps.
Blend at high for 1 minute (or follow the directions for composting that
come with the reversible Vitamix models). You can pour this 'instant
compost' onto your compost pile. The content is immediately biovailable.

Vitamix recommends keeping a dedicated blender container for this.

Such use would probably violate any warranty with other blenders, not so for
that one - it's an expected use and covered.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate