nafex - [NAFEX] Antique Apple Varieties Going Going

  • From: BRosholdt <rosholdt@erols.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Antique Apple Varieties Going Going
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:24:11 -0500

My dad sold the farm just north of Cincinnati, OH, two years ago. There is an "upper orchard" that has the remnants of some antique apples in there after the highway went through when I was in high school. Too bad, Quince, Baldwin, Transparent, etc.. He give me a list of the years of the trees and the varieties. Now the varieties themselves aren't so spectacular, but look at the age of these trees! There might be some differences in the breeding on these and someone in the area might be interested in getting some scionwood before the new owner decides to develop. Here is the list of existing trees: Rome Beauty (1917), Double Red Rome (1921), Stamen Winesap (1917) Cortland (1984), Jonathan (1917), MacIntosh (1917), Jonamac (1984), Ultramac (1984?), Lodi (1984), Northern Spy (1917), Priscilla (1984), Grimes Golden (1917). Elsewhere in the orchard, Seckel Pear (1917), Hale Haven, and Red Haven (before 1955), and Gala (1984 and who cares?). If anyone is interested send me an off line and I will tell you how to reach him. There is also another grower of Antique Apples around Cincinnati that I can name as well.

By the way, I take issue with whoever said the Turley Winesap was not a good apple. Turley has its place. My dad always said it was not as good as I said it was, but that just shows that I appreciated more the delicate flavor of those big apples.
Barbara Rosholdt

  • [NAFEX] Antique Apple Varieties Going Going, BRosholdt, 03/11/2005