nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 26, Issue 19 ........Grapes

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, Pete Benfield <kc5gxc@isp.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 26, Issue 19 ........Grapes
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 17:07:08 -0800

In a word, no. Flame Seedless is pure vinifera and in your climate it would be attacked by every grape disease, as well as phylloxera on the roots. Even if grafted to a resistant rootstock to prevent phylloxera (root louse), it would eventually succumb to disease. I wouldn't consider Flame in any climate other than a dry summer, west coast type climate. Technically, it WILL grow in a zone 9 climate, but only if that's a DRY zone 9.
-Lon Rombough