nafex - [NAFEX] Zinc deficiency in hazelnuts?

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Zinc deficiency in hazelnuts?
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:45:08 -0500

Stefan:

> Interesting topic. What about other nuts? Specifically, do
> hazelnut/filbert/trazels/etc. need zinc help?

Available zinc should be a concern to any grower particularly of seeds and
nuts as zinc content is an important nutrient. Why not test either soil
content or leaf content of zinc and compare to expected values?

> The context: My first crop of hazel family nuts was essentially all blanks.
> Maybe just young bushes, but maybe something else?

Blank hazelnuts are common - I have seen them many times. Cecil Farris of
Michegan used to say that he got nuts every year because he had wide genetic
diversity in his planting [he bred from many species]. If you're talking
about just one or two bushes, wait for others to come into production. Some
plants just don't perform well at a particular location.

Charlie Paradise zone 5 Massachusetts