nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Zinc deficiency in humans and trees

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Zinc deficiency in humans and trees
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:00:32 -0600

The latest issue of the annual proceedings of the NNGA(2003, I think
- don't have it here at the office with me) has an article by Dr. Darrell
Sparks, based on correspondence with L.D. Romberg, regarding cultivation
practices and their effect on zinc deficiency in pecans(pecan rosette
disease).  It seems that soil cultivation, destroying the sod/thatch
layer results in loss of Zn due to leaching, whereas established sod
& decomposing sod residue tends to trap(chelate?) Zn, and make it
more readily available for feeder roots of pecans - hence, native pecans
often bore more heavily, and had less rosette disease than did trees in
plantations, that were intercropped.

Lucky Pittman USDA Cold Zone 6 AHS Heat Zone 7 Hopkinsville, KY