nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Blue Honeysuckles????

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <BNikolai@shaw.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Blue Honeysuckles????
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:04:42 -0800

The University of Saskatchewan is releasing a number of blue honeysuckles or
honeyberries this spring. Sorry, only to Canada as they are not virus
indexed yet. These are very hardy, and a lot better tasting than the normal
blue honeyberries, which are very bland. They originate in eastern Siberia.
None of the honeyberries or honeysuckles I have tasted yet come close to
a good saskatoon, but I understand there are some in Russia that are tasty
that have been bred recently there. They are extremely hardy, and can
take -45C with ease, plus they fruit early. So if we ever get some good
tasting ones, all the northern Nafexers will be able to rejoice. They look
like an elongated blueberry, but all the ones I've tasted come nowhere near
in taste. So nobody is missing anything yet, unless the new ones about to
be released are tasty.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta