nafex - Re: [NAFEX] mulberries - invasive?

  • From: markl <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] mulberries - invasive?
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:57:02 -0500 (EST)

---- Donna wrote:

> I have read that the kind of mulberry to grow to keep birds away from your
> cherries is the small soft fruited Russian type.

Donna,
I have observed the mulberry/cherry effect in my garden. The robins hang out
in my mulberry tree, and strip it of fruit. They left my sour cherry tree
alone last year. These two trees bear fruit at the same time. If the birds
are few, I make cherry/mulberry pie. Last year I made mainly 100% cherry
pie, and the birds ate their mulberries straight from the tree. My mulberry
tree bears small seedless black fruit. I bought it in 1981 from a mail order
nursery in South Dakota.
-Mark Lee, Seattle zone 8a