nafex - [NAFEX] re: mulberrries

  • From: JoanRRosenberg@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] re: mulberrries
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:02:06 -0500

Not all mulberries grow in all places. I have a number of wild-type
mulberries, both black and white, which tend to be self-fertile. I have also
planted a number of named cultivars like Illinois Everbearing, Lavender, and
2 others whose names escape me at the moment. Some that I planted would only
grow in zone 7 or higher and did not survive a zone 6 winter. So check out
which cultivar has which zone range prior to buying it thru the mail. I
have found that the indigenous wild mulberries seem to grow and produce
better than the named cultivars. I no longer buy mulberries, I look for and
baby any seedlings that I find and replant them were I want them.
named cultivars come in male and female versions, as opposed to the wild-type
trees, and I have found the grafts do not always hold up over time.

  • [NAFEX] re: mulberrries, JoanRRosenberg, 02/14/2005