nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bee info

  • From: "Bruce Wittchen" <herenorthere@lycos.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bee info
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:07:46 -0500

Ginda said, "I get good pollination - mostly bumblebees, but also an
assortment of tiny flies."

Those tiny flies might also be bees. I have lots and lots of Halictid and
Andrenid bees here. The Andrenids are fairly plain looking and are called
miner bees. The Halictids are often metallic green (beautiful little
insects) and are called sweat bees. They're considered to be the most
effective pollinators of tomatoes, by the way.

Both types, like bumblebees, nest in the ground. If you have reasonably well
drained, loose structured soil, you can have lots and lots of them. I try to
avoid disturbing their favorite nesting areas. Since they work through the
growing season and other flowers bloom earlier and later than our favored
fruit trees, any bee-killing insecticide sprayed at any time can annihilate
the wild pollinator population.

Bruce Wittchen
Zone 6, 1/2 mile outside Hartford, CT

  • Re: [NAFEX] Bee info, Bruce Wittchen, 02/12/2005