nafex - [NAFEX] Boysenberry Productivity

  • From: Jim Fruth <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Boysenberry Productivity
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:03:27 -0600

I was asked about boysenberry productivity and the best I can answer is,
"I don't know." I don't know because 1) I didn't know when they were
ripe/ready for picking; I found varying opinions online. Consequently, some
spoiled. 2) They were a taste-treat for me whenever I walked by. 3) There
were an experimental taste-treat for visitors wondering, "What are you
growing now?" 4) My wife made two quarts of jam with the rest.
I have only four plants, this past season was the first time they bore
fruit and, if pressured to make a guesstimate, I'd say, "Probably a quart
per plant." Black raspberries and Blackberries produce poorly during their
first production year so I am hoping for better next season.

Jim Fruth
Pequot Lakes, MN

Jim,
In your article in the winter Pomona on Boysenberries you didnt mention
productivity. How was it.
My only experience here in Zone 5/6 has been observing my brothers patch.
He finally ripped them out because production was very light and sporatic.
THe ones I had a chance to taste were quite the medley of flavors. He
trellis his which could have cut down on productivity. I was wanting to use
some in an area for an edible groundcover but he ripped them out before I
got a chance.

Mark Southern Ohio

  • [NAFEX] Boysenberry Productivity, Jim Fruth, 02/08/2005