nafex - [NAFEX] russet apple cultivar descriptions

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] russet apple cultivar descriptions
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 08:17:21 -0800 (PST)

I've been searching the web for apple cultivar descriptions, and I see a lot of disagreement.  Particularly over ripening/harvest dates, also disease susceptabilities, and particularly in the sweet russets group.  I understand that a cultivar will ripen differently in different zones and even in different soils, but this shouldn't cause 4-6 weeks difference in neighboring zones!  Also I know diseases are more & less severe in different local/seasonal climates and from year to year.  But overall, evaluations should come to similar conclusions.  Is there so much disagreement over the russet group because, for too many growers, a russet is a russet?

I'm trying to find scion from anything in the sweet russet group, z4 hardy, Sept or early Oct ripening, productive in lighter/droughty soil,  and disease resistant.  Prefer a "grower friendly" tree which doesn't require thinning; biennial bearing OK.  Fruit which stores/keeps would be nice.  Is there such a cultivar?

tc, s.WI

Do you Yahoo!?
Meet the all-new My Yahoo! – Try it today!