nafex - Re: [NAFEX] shrew or vole?

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@containerseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] shrew or vole?
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 07:06:19 -0500

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:19:48 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>I'm pretty sure is not is a shew. The picture that was
>on the link was exactly like the one I had found in
>the yard.
>
>The vole in the picture seems to round and mouse like,
>plus the eyes are 3-4 times as large.

We have a lot of voles here, and I see them close-up
frequently because our cat kills them and brings them home,
then leaves the little corpses on the front porch. (She
used to try to bring her catches into the house, but
eventually became convinced that we wouldn't let her do
that, so she leaves them on the porch.) She doesn't eat
what she catches...prefers cat food, I guess.

The voles here (northern Pennsylvania) are like larger,
fatter, more furry mice. Quite a bit larger than mice. And
quite a bit furrier too.

Pat
--
NOW OPEN! ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb,
and edible flower seeds especially selected for successful