nafex - Re: [NAFEX] hoshigaki - Japanese dried persimmons

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] hoshigaki - Japanese dried persimmons
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 15:23:46 EST

Thank you Mark for answering the kaki persimmon drying question. That matches perfectly the information in the article by.

I'm taking the liberty to reproduce three of the pictures in the article and include here, with less quality than originally published. The original article and pictures are by Benjamin F. Kuo and published in the November-December 2004 issue of "FRUIT GARDENER" news magazine of, The California Rare Fruit Growers Assoc. of which I'm a member. Their web address is WWW.crfg.org. Wonderful organization for all fruit lovers as they grow everything out there.

If you look closely the strings can be seen.

They are a delicacy in Japan and given as gifts on special occasions. One thing Kuo pointed out is the massaging breaks down the internal fibers and the sugars pass through the dried surface and crystallize on the surface.

Jerry

  • Re: [NAFEX] hoshigaki - Japanese dried persimmons, Jwlehman, 11/25/2004