nafex - [NAFEX] Grafting male Persimmon.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grafting male Persimmon.
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 06:53:29 EST

In a message dated 11/13/2004 11:44:46 AM US Eastern Standard Time, list@ginda.us writes:

On the other hand, if they aren't too hard to graft, it might be easy
to make your own.  Just wait until the female persimmon is big enough
(already in its final spot) and then graft on a male branch.  I bet you
could find a scion from a fellow NAFEXer.

Ginda

Grafting onto a branch is only temporary because as persimmon trees grow taller the bottom limbs are self pruned off. In other words bottom limbs die and drop off. That is why it is said persimmon trees are self pruning. The best long term way is two trees, one each sex.

Some years back James Claypool in order to increase his supply of pollen grafted maybe 20 side limbs to male. Today I don't believe one limb remains. Most all took and grew a rew years, but as the trees grew taller they dropped off.

Yes, persimmon are very easy to graft. I can supply all the male scion wood anyone wants and they would be from improved parentage, not just wild material. Some males have more flowers than others, so one such would also be desirable.

Jerry

  • [NAFEX] Grafting male Persimmon., Jwlehman, 11/14/2004