nafex - [NAFEX] Wow!! on Persimmon Pics

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Wow!! on Persimmon Pics
  • Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 11:22:39 -0600

Thank you so much for posting those pictures. Very loud and clear!
Actually shows us the reall strength of this list-serve when we need it the
most.
Can't wait to see mine in flower. I have a question about taking grafting or
cuttings from persimmons though: if I am taking cuttings, and the persimmon
is a
self-fertile cultivar or a variant cultivar (which I believe, correct me if I
am
wrong, can on different years have a few male flowers or a few female flowers)
can I take cuttings from any branch, even an all male flowering branch and
still
retain the future ability for male and female blossoms? MAybe I have this
persimmon thing totally scrambled. I had about twenty softwood cuttings
successfully rooted this summer, and now I am wondering if the cuttings will
actually behave like the cultivar, which was Meader. Any info would be
excellent...
Heron Breen
Maine, zone 4
Ps. Yes this does mean there are fruiting persimmons in Maine. The cultivar
Meader is fruiting in Buckfield Maine, apparently needs good air and soil
drainage to fruit, as it had been planted in a lower spot and lived without
fruiting, but when moved has fruited every year, including this year when many
apple rootstock and peach trees bit the dust throughout Maine due to lack of
snow
cover/low soil temps.