nafex - [NAFEX] winter hanging apples

  • From: mark wessel <growyourown@earthlink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] winter hanging apples
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:24:20 -0400

Greetings,
I read Richard Faheys "Winter hanging apples" article in Pomona with
great interest. Does anyone else have any experience in this facet of apple
ripening.
For years I have been enjoying these fermented little crabs at one of my
jobs. Its an elegant crab. Clusters of mid to small sized crabs with the
shape of a Red Delicious apple. After a few frost they get soft and brown.
You just squeeze and suck the juice. Straining the seeds with your front
teeth. Five or six of these give me quite a pleasant feeling that takes the
edge of the work day off.
This may seem a little strange for some folks but its coming from a
fellow who also thinks the occasionaal magot in the sweet cherries makes
them a value added product. One thing that isnt so pleasant are the stink
bugs in the berries.

Mark, southern ohio