nafex - [NAFEX] How to best protect Fig trees in Long Island NY during winter

  • From: Gessie Maiurano <gmaiura@optonline.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] How to best protect Fig trees in Long Island NY during winter
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:07:06 -0400

Title: Message
I have 5 fig trees of which 3 I brought from Italy 4 years ago as small twigs, the other 2 I purchased here in a nursery. They are planted in my back yard and for the first 2 years did well, in fact last year I have some figs that were ripe and tasted great. I normally wrap the trees in burlap and then tar paper. That worked fine the first to year, but this past spring one tree did not come back and I had to cut the wood above ground. Late in July that tree began to grow and in fact now has figs but still green.

My question is if the method I use is correct for my area or is there a better way to protect the figs during the cold winter? I noticed that many people keep them in containers, is that better? If I move them in containers how big do they have to be for trees that are now over 6 feet tall or should I trim them to stay below 6 feet if I do move them into containers.

Any help will be appreciated.

Gessie

  • [NAFEX] How to best protect Fig trees in Long Island NY during winter, Gessie Maiurano, 10/28/2004