nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Strawberry plant storeage

  • From: "Luffman, Margie" <luffmanm@AGR.GC.CA>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Strawberry plant storeage
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:08:13 -0400

I would recommend digging them up soon, once they are dormant. Clean them
well, remove all soil, trim excess foliage but do not damage the crown. A
fungicide treatment of some kind is highly recommended as this helps prevent
mildew or other problems during storage. We usually treat the plants prior to
digging but you could also dip them once they are dug.

Bundle in groups of 5 or so. Place the bundles in plastic bags and store at
about 41 degrees F (5 degrees C). This is fairly close to a normal
refrigerator. Check them once in a while and they should be fine until spring
planting.

Margie

Margie Luffman
Curator/Conservatrice
Canadian Clonal Genebank/Banque canadienne de Clones
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada/Agriculture et Agroalimentaire Canada
Telephone/Téléphone: 519-738-2251 ext. 474
Facsimile/Télécopieur: 519-738-2929
2585 County Road 20
Harrow, Ontario
N0R 1G0
luffmanm@agr.gc.ca

Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada - Agriculture et Agroalimentaire Canada