nafex - [NAFEX] Apple leaf discoloration

  • From: Jason MacArthur <rotread@localnet.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple leaf discoloration
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 08:19:25 -0400

I am hoping for some help identifying what looks to me to be a troubling pattern of leaf discoloration in my apple orchard. Starting in approximately mid September, a few trees in my orchard started to develop pronounced purple leaf veins, with some leaves becoming entirely purple while others stayed green except on the veins. As time has gone on, more trees have followed this same pattern- some whole trees have a purplish hue to them, while their neighbors(same variety, same rootstock) remain much more on the green side of the spectrum. There doesn't seem to be a big difference between older and younger growth, although the degree of purplishness can vary from branch to branch.
My first thought and hope is that this is the tree starting to change color for the fall, but the color is unlike the colors I am seeing in the old apple trees around my orchard. They seem more yellow to red. Clearly a picture is worth a thousand words in a case like this, but does this ring any alarm bells with anyone? My worst fear is that this is boron poisoning. Following foliar analysis this summer which showed extremely low B levels I sprinkled Borax, 1/4 cup per tree, in a band down the row middle. This doesn't seem an excessive amount but the color change started approximately a week after this.
Any thoughts or similar experiences which could be shared to soothe a neurotic new orchardist? Happy Fall everyone!

Jason MacArthur
Marlboro, VT