nafex - [NAFEX] betulifolia vs OH x F

  • From: "Ed Forest" <edforest55@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] betulifolia vs OH x F
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 22:01:58 +0000

Is there any advantage, (other that possibly size control) of OH x F over betulifolia? Seems there must be or Westwood would have gone to betulifolia instead of OH x F, but on paper I can't see any advantage of the OH x F over betulifolia.(I suspect there weren't the more winter hardy strains known back when there was as scramble for more decline resistant stocks after the pear industry's decline disaster several decades ago. What was the rootsock that caused the loss of so many pears back then, was it ussuriensis?
Thanks for any help on this
Kevin Bradley

  • [NAFEX] betulifolia vs OH x F, Ed Forest, 10/20/2004