nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Blackberry Hardiness Question

  • From: "Dave Griffin" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Blackberry Hardiness Question
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:20:29 -0500

Hello all,

> Hardiness really is a very complicated concept, more complicated than
just
> minimum temperature. I think we all have had experience with plants that
> are supposedly not hardy for our area surviving, and the opposite with
> supposedly hardy plants for our area dying after their first winter.
What
> is more confusing is the fact that 5 out of 10 of these plants live and
the
> others die.

This is why I was reluctant to respond to the Sweet Cherry hardiness
question. I have 3 Lapins trees that went through -29 F last winter - one
died outright, one survived but died back about 50%, the third had only
minimal tip damage and even a small bloom. To make matters even more
complicated, the best one was on Mazzard and the other two on Gisela 5
which is supposed to be (and undoubtedly is) more hardy. If I had had only
one of any of these trees and generalized from my one winter, I could have
come to 3 different conclusions for the hardiness of 'Lapins' and a belief
that Mazzard is more hardy than Gisela 5. Simple answers to complex
questions are always wrong. All we get in one year with a limited sample is
a hint at a little piece of the puzzle.

Dave
central MN
zone 4