nafex - [NAFEX] Blackberry Question - Doyle Thornless

  • From: "Pete Tallman" <pete_tallman@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Blackberry Question - Doyle Thornless
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:39:14 -0600

WRT Jim Fruth's question on Doyle Thornless hardiness in zone 3... I'm not zone 3 but...

I fell for the hype and ordered a couple a few years ago. In the fine print in the instrucdtions received with the plants, it says [reading between the lines] canes are not hardy in zones 3 and 4 and need to be "protected for the winter", which means the canes need to be laid down and covered with heavy mullch to make it through the winter. My experience in my erratic Zone 5 was the canes were not hardy here either and also needed protection.

I got them to fruit, but the flavor was never what I wanted to eat. I pulled out my plants.

However, since it is resprouting now from the roots, then if I follow the US patent law precident as it applies to computer software, I think I would legally be entitled to transfer my copy to you if you like, as long as I keep trying to destroy my copy. :-)

Pete Tallman
Longmont, CO

  • [NAFEX] Blackberry Question - Doyle Thornless, Pete Tallman, 10/17/2004