nafex - [NAFEX] Sweet Cherry hardiness in Madison

  • From: "Ed Forest" <edforest55@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Sweet Cherry hardiness in Madison
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:20:47 +0000

Miller Nurseries sells Kristin and
says it is only hardy to zone 5.

(Hi Dan) Miller doesn't do much to research cold hardiness, in my opinion, so I would be skeptical. Kristin has had no dieback so far in Watertown, WI zone 4/5 after 6 years but it wasn't there when it was 30 below. It does have significant cracking though whereas Yellow Glass had barely any. I like Kristin a little better though for flavor. I have a Lapins and Kristin planted at Summit Co-op that has been there since 1996 and they have had no problems so far(except for vandalism) but we have had unusually mild winters lately. Rainier buds died first winte after buddingr. My Emperor Francis died last winter at Watertown but could have been due to flooding, I suspect winter injurty though.
Good luck with your project Dan
Kevin B

There does not seem to be any
corroboration among people I know that sweet cherries can be, or are grown in our area. I've never seen one here. We are actually less than 1/4 mile from a large body of water and Madison itself is often listed as being in a zone 5 island surrounded by zone 4. Obviously we are somewhere between 4 and 5. Anyone know if these varieties are hardy in zone 4, or if we would be safe to plant them here?
Dan Durica
Madison WI

Get ready for school! Find articles, homework help and more in the Back to School Guide! http://special.msn.com/network/04backtoschool.armx

  • [NAFEX] Sweet Cherry hardiness in Madison, Ed Forest, 10/14/2004