nafex - [NAFEX] jelly recipe for cornus mas

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] jelly recipe for cornus mas
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 17:13:29 -0500

Does anyone have a good jelly recipe (Hector maybe?) for cornus mas. In particular Im wondering if their is any kind of prep I need to do to slake the astringency from the fruit. Also Im keen on finding a version that is eastern european in origin. We've been searching romanian sites & find a number of manufacturers for cornul jelly but so far no old family recipes. We had a great year & the birds so far seem not to like them. I was shocked to visit the Olbrich Gardens arboretum in Madison WI a month ago or so & see that they had 25 year old trees lining a long walkway, planted as a very high hedge. They were loaded, there had to be 100s of lbs of fruit hanging & I'd be willing to bet no one does anything with them. ~mIEKAL