nafex - [NAFEX] Pears, worms, storage and liberty apple

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pears, worms, storage and liberty apple
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 10:17:30 -0700 (PDT)

I went to a barbeque and got to pick off their
neglected pear tree (comice). These are great, except

that 3/4 of them have a worm in the core. Doesn't
bother me too much, I just cut it out. But, fruit
with a worm won't store well (I guess), and I
generally don't see any marks on the outside to tell
which ones are inhabited. Is there a telltale that
I'm missing?

Also, my first crop of liberty is here. Birds ate
about half of it - I've never heard of this, but I
know a peck-mark when I see one on half an apple, and
quite a number just disappeared... (and it's too high
for chickens)

While the Liberty are pretty good fresh, I made
applesauce with some of them, and it's terrible. Is
it me, or is this just not a good applesauce variety?
mealy and no flavor. Maybe the ones I used were
underripe? I like underripe for eating, and I might
have picked them a bit early to save them from the
birds.

=====
Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall