nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Lorrette Pruning fully online

  • From: "Teghtmeyer, Suzanne R" <srt175f@smsu.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Lorrette Pruning fully online
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 08:20:22 -0500

Tom,

If you go to the HELP window, you can find out how to adjust the system.  You can also explore downloading the files to your computer by adding a title to your ‘Bookbag’, and then either downloading or emailing the item. Don’t be afraid to explore (NAFEXers are inherently explorers!) within the program to find what you want. Also, you can always mail the CHLA contact people and ask for help – compliers almost always like to talk about there projects!

FYI, on the HELP page under ‘Other topics’ is the following...

OCR text vs page images

CHLA materials have been encoded in a simple SGML form (a 40 element DTD conforming to the TEI Guidelines). This data includes the document text from the OCR process. Many users have asked if they can have access to the plain, uncorrected OCR text. We believe that in most cases people will still want to look at the page images of the books, but have decided to make the text available to users so they can save it, cut and paste, and to use the "find" feature on their Web browsers to locate a word on a page. We think that this will be of benefit to our users.

If you want to view the plain text, there are a couple of ways to accomplish this:

Page by page viewing: Go to the desired page and choose "view as text" from the view as menu in the toolbar at the top. As you move forward or back in the work, you will continue paging through plain text until you choose another "view as" option (such as image or pdf).

Entire books: You may choose to view an entire book in plain text by selecting the ‘view as text’ option.  The file can be saved by selecting the ‘save’ option in the browser’s File menu. By default, the file will be saved as HTML, which can be viewed with a web browser (text will not be broken up by line or page -- it is one large block of text). You can also change the file extension to .txt to save as text for viewing with a text editor or word processor (this preserves line and page breaks).

Please be aware that some of these texts are as long as 1,000 pages and will take a long time to download, particularly over a modem. Such a large download may also crash your Web browser.

-----Suzi