nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: deer fence

  • From: RW Spalinger <rwspal@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: deer fence
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 11:57:57 -0500

On Sep 9, 2004, at 8:14 AM, Deb Schneider wrote:

You might consider electric fence.  Premier offers several types of fence that should work to keep deer out.  http://www.premier1supplies.com.  We use electric mesh that is around 4 foot high and it usually keeps the deer out of our pastures (they investigate it with their noses and the shock scares the heck out of them).

Thanks for the link to the electric fence supplier.

I'll look into that electric mesh. I've already begun construction on my 7' high wild game fence, of 12 gauge wire, 6 inches apart vertically and horizontally. But I may add an electric component around it at about nose level, just to keep the animals further away. The deer and other animals are quite aggressive out here, and a one or two wire electric fence isn't too effective. I've tried to chase deer away and they've charged me, so that's what we're dealing with - no fear.

Besides being a barrier to deer, the fence has to also keep out the wild pigs that come through the area and root up everything in their path, including small trees. An electric fence doesn't have much effect on a wild pig, other than irritate them, at which time they tear down the wire.

Randall Spalinger