nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Indian Red; Indian Blood Red Peach

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <efackler@woh.rr.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Indian Red; Indian Blood Red Peach
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 16:35:30 -0400

Chris:

According to USDA Handbook of Peaches and Nectarines, it is thought to be a seedling of Blood Cling from France prior to 1857.  Don’t know a thing about its specific history of hybridization, however a number of red or maroon foliage “ornamental” varieties have been introduced and I suspect they were likely to have originated from this peach.

I do know that Joe Goffreda of Rutgers has used some sort of Redleafed peach in his hybridization with various non-melting (processing) peaches and flat peaches.

Ed, S. Ohio .... fall like